The scholarships are provided by an endowment, established by Dorothea Waterbury of Newton, Massachusetts, to fund scholarships for Pell-eligible students who are enrolled at selected CIC member New England colleges and universities. The approach of this scholarship program is based on the successful CIC First Opportunity Partners initiative, which aims to improve access and success at private colleges and universities for first-generation, low-income, minority, and new American students.
Each scholarship is valued at $15,000 ($5,000 per year for three years). The funding will be applied toward educational expenses of the recipient in his or her sophomore, junior, and senior years, assuming continued good academic standing. The program supports two Waterbury Scholars at any given time.
- At the time of application, the applicant must: be a full-time, second-semester, first-year student and selected as the nominee by the financial aid director/staff of one of the following CIC member institutions:
Gordon College (MA)
Merrimack College (MA)
Regis College (MA)
Simmons College (MA)
St. Anselm College (NH)
Stonehill College (MA)
Trinity College (CT)
Wheaton College (MA)
Each institution may have only one nominee. The campus contact is the Director of Financial Aid.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.4 on a 4.0 scale
- Meet the following criteria:
- be a first-generation college student (neither parent attended college); or a member of a minority group; or a new American (Student must be a legal immigrant/green card holder or naturalized citizen. Students with a student visa are not eligible);
- be a recipient of the Pell Grant; and
- have either high unmet financial need or high loan/work requirement.
Next Application Period
With two Waterbury Scholars currently in place, the next application period for the Dorothea M. Waterbury First Opportunity Partners Scholarship will take place for students completing their first-year of undergraduate education in the Spring semester of 2018.