As independent institutions continue to add new programs and areas of study to appeal to more students, many CIC members offer more than just bachelor’s degrees.
With a near 20 percent increase in Carnegie-classified graduate programs among CIC members since 2005, a current 58 percent of CIC institutions reporting established Carnegie-classified graduate programs, and a current total of 78 percent of CIC colleges and universities reporting graduate programs outside of Carnegie classification, it is clear that CIC members are no longer exclusively focused on undergraduate education.
In response to these growing numbers, CIC has initiated a study to better understand the changing landscape of graduate education among its members. That study, due in the Spring 2024, will offer an analysis of CIC member institutions’ current and potential graduate program offerings and recommend CIC support initiatives. Among those already being considered are course/faculty sharing consortia, program health indicator reporting, and graduate director/dean leadership training.
The following graph illustrates the percentage of CIC members that fall into the four categories of Carnegie Classification: Doctoral, Masters, Baccalaureate: Arts and Sciences, Baccalaureate: Others.
The following graph illustrates the increase in the number of CIC members that have Carnegie-classified graduate programs from 2005–2021 and the percentage of CIC institutions represented.
The following graph illustrates the increase in the number of CIC members that have Carnegie-classified graduate programs compared to those that have any graduate programs.
Note: Data reflect July 1, 2022–June 30, 2023.