CIC may change this policy from time to time in response to new rules and regulations as well as emerging best practices for nonprofit organizations. Therefore, you should check this page on occasion to ensure that you are satisfied with CIC’s information collection and dissemination practices.
What information does CIC collect?
CIC collects information either directly from you or from other sources such as a representative of your organization, for example during the registration process for a CIC meeting or application process for a CIC program, or a third-party directory. Information acquired from other sources will only be used for a legitimate business interest (that is not overridden by your data protection interests) or through your consent. The type of information CIC collects varies by program/service, but often includes identifying information, such as name, title, address, email address, and phone number.
How does CIC use the collected information?
CIC collects personal information to provide better service, and in particular, to:
- Manage accounts and provide transactional information;
- Provide support for programs and services;
- Share with members, event participants, and sponsors under specific circumstances and conditions;
- Promote CIC programs and services; and
- Provide information about relevant programs and services from CIC partners.
Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
How does CIC protect your information?
CIC is committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, CIC has put in place suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure collected information.
Does CIC share collected information?
CIC will only disclose or share personally identifiable information with a third party when:
- Required by law or pursuant to a governmental request;
- Required to provide requested services;
- Selection committees review nominations and applications for programs and services;
- Engaging trusted service providers who assume the responsibilities of data processor to perform services on CIC’s behalf;
- Requested by a CIC member or sponsor, which may only be used once for a designated and agreed upon purpose; and
- In accordance with CIC’s standard liability waiver and release for use of name and photo for a particular CIC program.
How long does CIC retain information?
When permissible by law, CIC retains collected information indefinitely until advised to delete it. When local law does not permit indefinite retention, for contacts at CIC member institutions, CIC retains collected information for the duration of membership. For contacts at nonmember institutions, collected information is retained up to two years from the date of CIC’s most recent communication.
How can you access your information?
You can view and edit your personal information at the Manage Profile section of the CIC website. You may request a copy of the information CIC has on file about you or request that your personal information be deleted by contacting CIC at email@example.com.
How can you contact CIC?
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 320
Washington, DC 20036 USA