Looking for the 2023–2024 Academy?Learn More
About the Academy
The Council of Independent Colleges (CIC) and the American Academic Leadership Institute (AALI) are pleased to announce the 2023–2024 Senior Leadership Academy (SLA), a yearlong program for administrators in higher education who aspire to cabinet-level positions in independent colleges or universities. Participants will acquire knowledge, skills, and experience germane to the responsibilities and activities central to the work of a vice president or cabinet officer.
Leaders for a New Era
The SLA fills a gap in the current leadership pipeline by preparing talented leaders with the skills needed to advance to a senior leadership position on campus. The SLA also helps participants broaden their understanding of the higher education ecosystem and of the full range of leadership roles needed for institutional success.
The program consists of:
- Two seminars—one in Tampa, Florida, November 3–5, 2023, and the other in Washington, DC, June 13–15, 2024—led by current presidents, vice presidents, and other senior leaders in higher education as well as experts in key areas;
- Readings in leadership theory and practice;
- Professional Experience Plan (PEP), a highly individualized plan to fill gaps in the participant’s expertise and experience;
- Mentorship by both the participant’s campus mentor and the program director;
- Individualized executive coaching throughout the program; and
- Webinars, regional gatherings, book groups, campus visits, and other activities developed by participants.
Since 2010, 153 of the participants in the ten cohorts that have completed the Senior Leadership Academy have experienced career advancement.
In addition to the professional advancement of participants, successful outcomes also occur when participants strengthen their leadership in their current positions.
Location and Costs
The fall seminar will be held in Dallas TX, November 4–6, 2022. The closing seminar will be held in Washington, DC, June 15–17, 2023.
The individual program fee for the 2022–2023 academic year is $2,400, which includes all program costs as well as meals during the two seminars. Participants or their institutions are responsible for travel and lodging expenses.
For questions about the nomination process, selection process, or program logistics, contact Mike Donnelly, assistant to the senior vice president for academic programs, CIC, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 552-8986.
For questions about program content, contact Javier Cevallos, president, AALI, at email@example.com or (202) 263-7488.